Thursday, November 30, 2023

FOR AND IN ALL THINGS

 

A week ago today we celebrated Thanksgiving, a day that marked the beginning of the holiday season. Every day since I’ve contemplated the practice of gratitude for every blessing. 

I love prayer walks, a time of reflecting on the beauty of the earth, a time to ponder God’s amazing color scheme in fall leaves. And the winter sky on a cold day so blue it takes your breath away with childlike wonder – a wonder often lost in adulthood. 

It may sound cliché, the gratitude subject. I’d be like yeah, yeah, if I’ve heard it once I’ve heard it a thousand times. The old gratitude platitude.

But I’m telling you, this one practice changes everything. Not only in you, but in those around you. Many years ago my neighbor who looked to be 100 years old began ailing. One day she said to me, “I can’t complain. I count my blessings every day that God sends. He’s been mighty good.”

For some reason this left a lasting impression on me. It’s one of the memories I can’t forget because the Holy Spirit keeps bringing it up, rewinding the scene of this aged woman sitting before me who celebrated life and gave thanks in all things. Who lived out the practice until the day she died.

The daily practice of gratitude strengthens the spirit to withstand hard times and face perils you’d never have imagined you’d encounter. I’m reminded of a scene replayed a thousand times in my mind of Betsy Ten Boom in Ravensbruck concentration camp. Her gratitude for the first meal served there: watered-down turnip soup.

Corrie’s reaction: “God doesn’t expect us to give thanks for this?”

Of course he doesn’t, but the exercise of gratitude still stood for Betsy, for it had apparently been a long-held exercise: gratitude in all things.

What are you grateful for on this day that God has made?

As I reflect on the daily practice of gratitude, a song I wrote awhile back surfaced, a song I’ll share with you below.

https://soundcloud.com/debra-elramey/we-give-thanks


 


16 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this. It became even more poignant in my life when I contracted a life threatening illness, that cascaded into more.... Throughout the ordeal, I never felt pain. The Supreme Being gave me a pass, even while I was near death. If that doesn't inspire gratitude, nothing will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Roy, what a trial a life threatening illness is. I'm grateful along with you that you never felt pain. I too had a near-death moment, but here we are, two grateful souls. Bless you, friend.

      Delete
  2. In all seriousness, I am grateful for the overall health of my close family members, going into December. Several have endured a difficult year so far, but now, all is good.

    I am always happy to see you out and about, Debra. You are a shining light to so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that your family is pulling through whatever they endured. I'm always happy to be in touch with you, dear Michel, as I love your joyful spirit. Blessings always my poet friend.

      Delete
  3. You're very convincing about the practice of gratitude. Yes ,it is strenghtening our spirit. Every morning after I wake up, I express my gratitude to God for being alive, ready to face a new day, and it makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duta, works for me and others I know. My friend Jane recently broke her hand and she's just grateful she didn't break her hip. It could always be worse, yes, Good to hear from you my distant friend. Have a blessed weekend and take care of those plant babies and they will take care of you. :-)

      Delete
  4. Each day, Debra, I continue to thank God for all His blessings, having a Gratitude Attitude toward all of life. It does make such a difference for the better in our well-being and keeps us grounded in all God has done, and continues to do, for us.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you do, dear Martha. You reflect the light that can only shine forth from a radiant heart. Blessings back at you, love. Hugs too!

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful holiday, we don't have anything like it here. Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoAnna, everyday is a day of thanksgiving here. You create your own holiday! Love and blessings.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...